venerdì 1 luglio 2016

Brexit - An open letter to the UK



Dear United Kingdom,
You know me already though, because in fact, I live in England, I spend my money in Tesco and New Look, I go for a pint with my mates on a Sunday night and spend most of my time in the library of Plymouth University. There is no difference between me and any other student, made in England except that last Thursday you broke up with me and you broke up with every one that, like me, was born somewhere else in Europe. You've never considered me different, funny maybe, even curious, but mainly interesting rather than different. Now not only that, but I feel different, suspicious, saddened by recent changes. And this is just so awkward, sad, astonishing, depressing.

I moved to England with pictures in my mind of Punk-Rock movements, the freedom of the Beatles, the colours of Camden Market, the magic of Harry Potter and of your countless footballers, the authority of the Big Ben staring at all of us. I moved to England, where measures are in stones, inches and feet, where Chicken Tikka Masala is an acquired "traditional" dish and italians and polish are your nurses, in summary where difference equals normality. I was not at all scared by this diversity, but contrarily, thrilled to discover the unknown. 

But the bomb has been dropped on my life the moment you decided to hit the EU with your decision, shareable or not. I'm gonna face the problem now, after a few days, because the impact made me feel out of breath, and some time to recover was needed. What happened to us? 'Cause you've made me feel just not good enough for you. Feeling abandoned just like we were in a love relationship, I'm gonna prepare myself to a different life now, and change those decisions that would have involved you. Just like you were my ex.


Ecco. Questo è quello che scriverei al Regno Unito se fosse possibile scrivere una lettera in questa situazione e se, ovviamente, un paese sapesse leggere. Il fatto è, che la notizia di una Brexit era così indicibile e inaspettata per me, che la sua riuscita mi ha investita come un treno della Great Western Railways. Adesso è un altro salto nel vuoto, un'altro luogo buio e tenebroso da visitare: cosa cambierà per me? Immagino che solo il tempo mi saprà rispondere, al contrario di ogni persona coinvolta in questa situazione. Nessuno sembra avere prospettive, sapere anche solo a grandi linee cosa accadrà potenzialmente e questo spaventa ma non ferma nessuno. Io come tanti altri che conosco, abbiamo sviluppato la scorza dura di chi rimette in discussione le proprie certezze, tutti i giorni. Ci sono troppe persone coinvolte, troppe vite investite per il proprio futuro perché una decisione politica fermi queste anime erranti, figlie dell'Europa e cittadine del Mondo. Questo è il mio pensiero, limitato, ma pur sempre un pensiero. 

N.B. Ho letto e riletto questo post e lo trovo strappalacrime e non proprio nel mio stile, ma era da scrivere, viene dalle mie viscere e dal mio umore triste, arrabbiato e un po' perso del momento. Prossimo post mi riprendo eh!

M.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento